Abu Dhabi Police rescue girl trapped in car
Abu Dhabi Police rescued a girl from a locked car that was parked in an underground lot in Al Bandar.
Police had to break the driver seat window of the black Ford Expedition to free the girl, whose age was not disclosed.
It is unclear how the girl became trapped, who reported the incident and how long she was left in the car but the girl's father thanked police for their rapid intervention.
Maj Gen Ali Al Dhaheri, director of central operations, called on parents not to leave their children unattended in cars - even if only for a few minutes.
He said a shortage of oxygen would cause the child to lose consciousness and eventually suffocate.
Similarly, Maj Gen Al Dhaheri said high temperatures could lead to heat stroke and death.
Dr Sara Kazim, a consultant emergency physician at Rashid Hospital, previously told The National that underdeveloped thermoregulatory systems leave children vulnerable to the effects of extreme heat, which intensifies in cars because of the greenhouse effect.
“Children have a smaller body surface area than adults, so have a greater ability to accumulate heat. Their heat-adjustment mechanisms are not as well adjusted as adults, so they don’t sweat as much.
“It can be damaging to children in just a few minutes,” she said. “A child’s illness can quickly escalate from mild to severe within 10 minutes if they are very young. Older children will lose consciousness after 15 to 20 minutes.
Despite regular advice from police and health authorities, children continue to be left alone in hot vehicles with at least least three cases reported across the emirates last year, leading to the death of three children.
Updated: September 10, 2018 04:37 PM