x

Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 25 September 2018

Arab Coalition airstrikes resume on Hodeidah after peace talk failure

At least 100 Houthis have been killed or injured in the strikes

Yemeni government forces in Hodeidah. Coalition forces have resumed airstrikes on the port after a two-month ceasefire. EPA

Airstrikes by the Arab Coalition resumed on the Red Sea port of Hodeidah on Wednesday, following a two-month ceasefire.

The coalition, which includes the UAE, resumed its offensive following the failure of UN-led peace talks between the internationally recognised Yemeni government and the Houthi rebels.

Videos posted on Wam, the UAE's state news agency, shows Arab Coalition forces monitoring Houthi movements including the burning of tires, and the laying of landmines.

At least 100 Houthis have been injured or killed in the latest offensive, Sky News Arabia reports.

Earlier on Wednesday, Yemen's pro-government Al Amalikah brigades retook a stretch of the road near Hodeidah, cutting off a major Houthi supply route.

The road runs from the port city to other rebel-held areas, but also links to Ibb, Taez and Aden to the south.

As the battle for Hodeidah resumes, UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Dr Anwar Gargash, said the only way to win the war in Yemen was by liberating the port of Hodeidah.

The Houthi's failure to arrive at peace talks in Geneva was proof the liberation of Hodeidah was necessary, he said.

_______________

Read more:

Editorial: A dark day for Yemenis after failed peace talks

Yemen talks delayed after Houthi no-show but still 'fruitful'

Yemen pro-government forces cut major Houthi supply route

Mukalla: The Yemeni city that defeated Al Qaeda and now needs the world's help

RELATED ARTICLES
Recommended